Melianthus major, the giant honey flower or kruidjie-roer-my-nie (Afrikaans for 'herb-touch-me-not'), is a species of flowering plant in the family Francoaceae. It is an evergreen suckering shrub, endemic to South Africa and naturalised in India, Australia and New Zealand.
It grows to 2–3 m tall by 1–3 m wide, with pinnate blue-green leaves 30–50 cm long, which have a distinctive musky odour. Dark red, nectar-laden flower spikes, 30–80 cm in length, appear in spring, followed by green pods. All parts of the plants are poisonous.
The Latin binomial Melianthus major literally means "large honey flower". The plant is also sometimes called honeybush (along with many other plants). In cultivation this plant requires a sheltered location and may also need a protective winter mulch in temperate regions. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
Join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and please leave a comment once you have done so!
****If you take part in the meme, please show an active link back to this site on your own blog post!****

Do the leaves close or is it touch me not cos poisonous?
ReplyDeleteNow, I can comment... thank you for sharing and for hosting. It's a unknown plant for me.
ReplyDeleteGreetings by Heidrun
I had to come back today to leave a comment because I couldn't comment on blogger yesterday. Such an interesting plant. Thanks for the party!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and interesting plant! Thank you for sharing and hosting too!
ReplyDeleteAn interesting story about an interesting, amazing flower. It’s the first time I’ve seen it. I don’t know if they grow in Ukraine. Thank you! Дякую!
ReplyDelete