The rules for posting are simple!

1. Every Friday post a photo that includes one or more flowers.
2. Please only post photos you have authority to use.
3. Include a link to this blog in your post - http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
4. Leave the link to your FloralFridayFoto post below on inlinkz.
5. Visit other blogs listed ... comment & enjoy!

When to Post:
inlinkz will be available every Thursday and will remain open until the next Wednesday.

Wednesday 22 February 2012

FFF14 - IN HONOUR OF HIS TEACHER

Rudbeckia is a plant genus of 23 species in the family Asteraceae. The name of this genus was given by Carolus Linnaeus in honor of his teacher at Uppsala University, Professor Olof Rudbeck the Younger (1660-1740), and his father, Professor Olof Rudbeck the Elder (1630-1702), both of whom were botanists.

The species are commonly called coneflowers and black-eyed-susans; all are native to North America and many species are cultivated in gardens for their showy yellow or gold flower heads.The species are herbaceous, mostly perennial plants (some annual or biennial) growing to 0.5-3 m tall, with simple or branched stems. The leaves are spirally arranged, entire to deeply lobed, 5-25 cm long. The flowers are produced in daisy-like inflorescences, with yellow or orange florets arranged in a prominent, cone-shaped head; "cone-shaped" because the ray florets tend to point out and down as the flower head opens.

Please join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and leave a comment once you have done so!




17 comments:

  1. We call it the Norwegian(solhatt),,sun,, flower hat, and it is a flower I'm very fond of
    I use a translator so there will be some nice words he he ...

    Marit, Norway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mam te śliczne kwiatki w ogródku i bardzo je lubię :-). Zaraz sobie skopiuję obrazek i link i pewni niedługo pobawię się u Ciebie. Pozdrawiam. *** I have these beautiful flowers in the garden, and like them very much :-). Just copy the image and a link and sure soon pobawię at you. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This flower's yellow color is bright enough to make me happy, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shot!
    Feel free to join me in my PJ' Happies if you like my pics too :)
    xoxo, Juliana

    http://pjhappies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried growing these last year, but something nibbled them down to stalks. Thinking of trying them again, but with protection this time. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's me - again for fff - :-)
    I was very impressed with your phonetic description of last weeks flower.
    Not often I see that these days. And certainly a help with anemones.

    What are you going to do when fuchsias come up :-)
    Dr. Fuchs might be looking in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. rubeckia is a very decorative flower. Noting beats it´s color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Nick, for letting me know about this! I won't be able to join in and post until later -- hopefully, later this weekend! I do look forward to joining in!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color is as bright as the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. loving the rudbekia. I've seen it called black-eyed-susan before but that is a totally differing plant name for us (thunbergia), a small simple petalled orange flower with chocolate/black centre, growing as a vine. Your rudbekia though is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grow Rudbeckia (black eyed susan)in our garden.
    Loved by butterflies and many bees, bumblebees and other insects.
    Love to use the flowers in my flowers arrangements.
    Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And birds like their seedheads very much, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!
    I won't be able to join in this week, I'll try next week.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great contrasts, beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photo.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete