The rules for posting are simple!

1. Every Friday post a photo that includes one or more flowers.
2. Please only post photos you have authority to use.
3. Include a link to this blog in your post - http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
4. Leave the link to your FloralFridayFoto post below on inlinkz.
5. Visit other blogs listed ... comment & enjoy!

When to Post:
inlinkz will be available every Thursday and will remain open until the next Wednesday.

Thursday 9 June 2016

FFF238 - FORGET-ME-NOT

Myosotis (from the Greek: "mouse's ear", after the leaf) is a genus of flowering plants in the family Boraginaceae. In the northern hemisphere they are commonly called forget-me-nots or scorpion grasses. The common name "forget-me-not" was calqued from German, Vergissmeinnicht and first used in English in AD 1398 through King Henry IV.  Similar names and variations are found in many languages. Myosotis alpestris is the state flower of Alaska. Plants of this genus are commonly confused with Chatham Islands forget-me-nots which belong to a related genus, Myosotidium.

Myosotis have pentamerous actinomorphic flowers with 5 sepals and petals. Flowers are typically 1 cm diameter (or less), flat, and blue, pink, white or yellow with yellow centres, growing on scorpioid cymes. They may be annual or perennial with alternate leaves. They typically flower in spring or soon after snow-melt in alpine eco-systems. Their root systems are generally diffuse. Their seeds are found in small, tulip-shaped pods along the stem to the flower. The pods attach to clothing when brushed against and eventually fall off, leaving the small seed within the pod to germinate elsewhere. Seeds can be collected by putting a piece of paper under the stems and shaking the seed pods and some seeds will fall out. Myosotis scorpioides is also known as scorpion grass due to the spiralling curve of its inflorescence.

Join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and please leave a comment once you have done so.
****If you take part in the meme, please show an active link back to this site on your own blog post!****

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful little flowers! Thank you for hosting, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These beautiful blue flowers are welcome in every garden! Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is kind of funny -because... I had forgotten about linking here...till now:):) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vergissmeinnicht - dear Nick, i love this flower so much!!
    Thank you very much!! Have a wonderfull weekind!
    Greetings, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forget-me-nots are not such a dark blue around here. Nick, I hope my croton plant is OK for this meme today. It looks so flower-like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love forget-me-nots! They look so cute ...
    Have a happy weekend!
    Greetings from Germany ... Frauke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick, thank you so much for a new word - calque -. It rarely happens these days that I come across an unknown word: I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't forget to visit your beautiful hop! Thanks for hosting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite flowers, but I have never been successful at growing this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Forget Me Not is a Lovely Flower with a lot of Nostalgia :)
    Thanks for hosting.
    Have a Great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heisann.... is it my PC that don´t have access to Mr. Linky, I´m missing him here to:
    I love the flower Forget me not, same name in Norwegian, Forglem meg ei!
    http://viltogvakkert.blogspot.no/2016/06/pelargoniaene-na.html
    Once more, have a wonderful weekend ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely little flowers Nick.....
    Greetings Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick, a childhood favorite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder why they named it Forget-me-not. We have the same name in sweden. Förgät-mig-ej

    ReplyDelete